orangewrapper

Penny & Chris Goeppner are in the process of adopting two children from Russia.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Russian Class

Tonight was my first Russian class. I signed up for the class being offered at our high school a few weeks ago and I was so excited to start. I walked into the class, hoping I wasn't the only one that signed up. I wasn't, there were nine others. I sat down at a desk and anxiously waited for the class to begin. 15 minutes later I was still waiting (along with everyone else) in awkward silence. I was hoping that someone would be friendly enough to initiate a meet and greet while we were waiting but no one did. I guess I could have but I didn't. 30 minute later the teacher arrived. She took role and we immediately started learning the cyrillic alphabet. She did not introduce herself and I did not get around to asking. Some of the people in the class had taken it before and were familiar with the alphabet. I am familiar with it as I've been learning Russian on my own for months now. About half the class had never seen or learned the alphabet before. We then practiced reading words in Russian and guessed what their meanings might be. I enjoyed that because although I'm familiar with alot of the words, I need help with pronouncing them. She said we'd spend a few weeks studying the alphabet before we jumped into conversational Russian. I was a little bummed about that since the class is only 8 weeks long and I really want to learn the conversational part. I hope she offers an intermediate class so I can continue learning. I love languages, its really fun for me to learn them. Russian has been alot easier than I thought it would be. Easier than Spanish so far. Anyway, I'll keep you up to date with my classes and all that I learn.

3 Comments:

At 10:12 AM , Blogger Deb said...

Glad to hear it's easier then Spanish. Since I know that one maybe it won't be so hard to learn Russian. I wish I could find a class close by. There's one at a college but it's like 3 hours away so that wouldn't work.

Glad you're going to enjoy it.Maybe Chris can put a video up of you talking in Russian when you're done. :o)

 
At 10:20 AM , Blogger 6blessings said...

That's great. It will help so much. We didn't know much, but quickly learned "child phrases". Hope you have a great time and learn a lot.

 
At 2:12 PM , Blogger Suz said...

Maybe next week everyone will feel more comfortable sharing a bit. Hopefully the teacher won't be 30 minutes late again!

I look forward to hearing how this goes for you. I wish we had something like this available, but we live in po-dunk.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home