orangewrapper

Penny & Chris Goeppner are in the process of adopting two children from Russia.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Bird Suicide?


Nothing is happening regarding our adoption, still. So I thought I'd blog about something completely unrelated. Bird Suicide. Does this phenomenon really exist? Allow me to state my case. Yesterday as I was driving to a church function, I was traveling in my car at abut 45mph when I saw 2 birds headed my way. At first I thought they were ducks flying a little too low but as they came precariously closer to my car, I recognised them. They were turkey vultures. South Florida is plagued with these filthy and ugly creatures. Although I dislike these birds, they do have their place in the ecosystem. They do a good job cleaning up all the roadkill. But I digress from my story. There I was, minding my own business, driving towards my destination, as these birds flew closer and closer towards the windshield of my car. It was a surreal moment. I thought to myself, surely they'll fly out of the way, but they did not. They were birds on a suicide mission. Perhaps even kamikaze birds. I did not aim for the birds, but they sure looked like they were aiming for me. It was like the road was their runway and they were landing no matter what was in their way. I drifted into the left-hand lane to avoid a collision but the insane bird hit my car anyway. I watched in my rear view window as the birds made a quick landing. They both seemed unfazed. I'm not sure if the one that hit my car made it, but they were both just standing in the road as I drove out of sight. My mom was the first one to tell me about bird suicide after my first driving experience as a driver with a learner's permit. I was driving home with my family when something white and blurry seemed to have hit the front of the car. I was nervous that I had hit something but my family was sure it was only a piece of garbage in the road. It was only that as I was parking the car in the lot that I saw a wing flapping in the breeze. Indeed I had hit a bird and it was stuck in the grill of our car. My mom comforted me by telling me that it was a case of bird suicide and there was nothing I could have done to avoid it. I wasn't sure about the existence of such a thing until yesterday. Now I know that it does indeed exist. What do you think? Have any of you ever experienced this phenomenon before?

5 Comments:

At 4:25 PM , Blogger Deb said...

How scary! I believe it. I have had some close calls but they never actually hit me. (But I did hit a bunny and am still devestated over it)
I hope your car is okay after the assualt.

 
At 12:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The birds love me! I am thankful for a husband who has pulled 3 (yep, you heard me!) birds out of the grill of my car! Mind you, we're talking 3 different times too! I must be a bird suicide magnet! Be glad that they hit you and landed elsewhere. It's messy business pulling a bird out piece by piece (oh yea, Did I mention that they come apart when you are trying to "free" them?!). Once again, so thankful for my husband!

 
At 9:31 PM , Blogger Maggie said...

Oh my goodness! Turkey vultures are awfully big birds to dive into your car. I'm glad you were able to get out of the way partially at least.

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger Chris Goeppner said...

this goes to prove what a great driver you are honey!

 
At 1:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! I actually had a bird suicide happen to me one morning last week! I still have a mark on my glass where something (maybe a beak) hit right where I look out and it won't come off! I laughed when I read this...you're not alone. It made me feel horrible too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home