orangewrapper

Penny & Chris Goeppner are in the process of adopting two children from Russia.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Russian Class-Week 2

Tonight was much better than last week. The teacher was only 5 minutes late.=) I found out her name, it's Natasha. We concentrated on the alphabet again but also did alot of reading Russian words and translating Russian words. She wrote a list of countries and states on the board in English and we had to write the Russian equivalent underneath. When it was my turn at the board, I got this weird flashback of when I was in school getting called up by the teacher to do a math problem. I almost started sweating! Only this time I knew the answer, I correctly translated the words. Natasha asked me if I had taken a Russian class before, I said no and that I was learning on my own up until now. She asked me why I wanted to learn Russian so I told her that we were adopting from Krasnoyarsk, she knew where it was. I asked her if she does private tutoring and she said she did so I think I'll continue my lessons with her once our class is finished. I want to learn phrases like "Give me my children now!" and "How much to waive the 10 day waiting period?" Just Kidding!!! =) But seriously, I want to learn phrases that will be helpful to us while we are there. Hopefully we'll be traveling soon!
I got to talking to a couple that is taking the class with me. They were excited about our adoption. They're taking the class because they met a girl from the Ukraine that is friendly with their son and they want to be able to communicate with her and her mother. I found out they go to a church near us. They said they'll be praying for our reaccreditation, how cool!
In case you are wondering, we are using a text book and a workbook titled "Russian Face to Face" Level One. I ordered a used copy of the text book from Amazon but I haven't gotten it yet, I do have the workbook though. The first lesson is handwriting in Russian (cursive). It's alot different from printing it. It's fun learning it. Anyway, I look forward to next week's class. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home